Our content is reader-supported. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links.
Do you want to discover who sent you an email but have no idea how to begin doing so? Have no fear! In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best reverse email lookup services currently on the market.
If you have only an email address to go on, you can use these resources to easily and quickly find out who the sender is. You can use these resources for anything from reuniting with a long-lost buddy to checking the legitimacy of a potential business partner. I say, “Will we?”
7 Best Reverse Email Lookup Tools
- BeenVerified – Best Reverse Email Lookup Overall
- PeopleLooker – Best for Fast Results
- TruthFinder – Best for Non-digitized Searches
- Intelius – Best for Detailed Searches
- Instant Checkmate – Best for Checking Educational Information
- Spokeo – Best for Long-term Use
- PeopleFinders – Best for Affordability
BeenVerified – Best Reverse Email Lookup Overall
Even if you have a spam filter, your inbox can still get flooded with messages from unknown senders. To find out more about an unfamiliar email address and whether or not it belongs to a known fraudster, we recommend BeenVerified.
All you have to do is type in the email address, and BeenVerified will do a full search of its database to find any pertinent information on that address.
The identity of the sender, their company, and any accounts on social media they may have connected with the email could all turn up in the search results.
As a whole, the reverse email lookup service is superior to a standard Google search when trying to determine the true identity of a mysterious email sender.
- People search returns detailed reports
- Relatively transparent for a background search company
- Membership offers a wide array of features
- Straightforward pricing model
- Quality mobile apps
- Attentive customer support
- Search results are not always accurate
- Occasional long waiting times for search results
- No free trial on offer
Individual reports are not available for purchase on BeenVerified; rather, you must subscribe to a package in order to access all available reports. There are two subscription plans available on BeenVerified:
Also, you can use any one of the seven available search options. You can also choose to get an alert whenever a report you’re following undergoes any kind of update by checking the corresponding box.
PeopleLooker – Best for Fast Results
Almost twenty percent of daily emails were spam for the typical person. Moreover, spam emails were frequently being sent to businesses. PeopleLooker’s goal is to make it simple to identify the sender of spam emails in an effort to reduce their frequency.
Using this tool to conduct a reverse email lookup is a great way to guard your own personal privacy. PeopleLooker compares data from millions of sources to produce reports.
PeopleLooker will search through public records and could reveal the true identity, contact information, and background reports of the prospective owner once you’ve inputted the details you know about them.
- Mobile apps for both Android and iOS
- Easy to use
- Good-looking interface
- Searches are confidential
- Takes a lot of time to process a request
- Additional charges on some of the information
- No live chat support
Peoplelooker’s price structure offers two options so you may pick the one that works best for you.
- The 1 Month Plan is the starting point. The monthly fee for this package is $23.99. This plan’s perks are extensive, and they include access to an abundance of useful resources like criminal records, phone numbers, emails, addresses, and other people’s public data.
- The subsequent schedule is for three months. It costs $19.19 each month for three months. The monthly pricing is lower than the one-month plan because you’re charged in advance for 3 months at a time.
As an alternative, you can try out the PeopleLooker service for $1 for seven days. So that you can learn everything there’s to know about PeopleLooker. You’ll need to cancel before the trial ends before getting charged for a monthly subscription.
TruthFinder – Best Best for Non-digitized Searches
Based on an inputted email address, the TruthFinder Reverse Email Lookup returns a report including relevant personal data. This is achieved by scouring online and offline public data sources for information on individuals known to exist in the form of public records.
Everybody has the right to access the information contained in public records. The quantity and quality of data provided by reverse email lookup resources are crucial factors to think about.
While several of these methods can provide you with names, they aren’t great at tracking out additional information on the sender. TruthFinder ranks first for such an inquiry due to its extensive database of over 150 million items.
TruthFinder provides more than just a reverse email lookup service; it also conducts person searches, background checks, and even reverse cell phone lookups.
We think this service is useful because it’s quite easy to use and because it collects a substantial amount of information on the individual hiding behind an email address.
TruthFinder uses public records including social media posts, arrest records, and court documents to verify the information. TruthFinder is different from similar tools since it also searches private databases for useful information.
- Dark web scan
- Self-monitoring tool
- Highly-detailed reports
- Spends only a short amount of time on report making
- You can only get it in the US
TruthFinder does not offer a premium service where users can conduct unlimited reverse email searches. To access all of TruthFinder, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid subscription.
- One-month unlimited – $28.05/month
- Two-month unlimited – $23.28/month ($46.56 charged every 60 days)
Intelius: Best for Checking Educational Information
Even though Intelius lacks a reverse email lookup feature, it’s nevertheless a useful tool in many other situations. You can use Intelius to retrieve all the data you need from an email’s sender if you have their name, mobile number, or residence address.
Valid emails you can trust will have a clear sender and recipients, such as a name and a company address. Intelius is well-recognized as a leading brand in its field.
It features a sleek design that conceals its ease of use. As compared to similar sites, this one stands out because of the emphasis it places on presenting the user with the individual’s academic background.
Intelius can help with a wide variety of tasks, including people searches, background checks, criminal record checks, and public record searches. The tone is very “detective,” I’d say. This site will help you learn more about the people who send you email.
- Reputable company
- Prepares results quickly
- Provides education history
- US-only results
- Pricing plans are not transparent
Intelius is a quick and easy way to conduct a simple internet search. Person search reports and history reports are available via separate subscriptions. Intelius offers the following tiers of service for access to unlimited reports on individual users.
- Monthly Plan: Starting at $24.86/month
- Bi-monthly Plan: Starting at $21.125/month (Charged at $42.25 every two months)
Instant Checkmate: Best for Detailed Searches
Instant Checkmate can be an excellent option if you value precision and cost-effectiveness equally. If you have the person’s name or phone number, you may use this tool to find out a lot more about them.
You’ll require more than just an email address, exactly like with Intelius, but if you have the information, this is a fantastic alternative.
Instant Checkmate is a public records search engine that claims to have the largest database and the fastest search speeds available. Marriage and property records, criminal histories, court filings, and any other public record can be found in its reports.
Each plan at this search engine includes an infinite number of searches. Instant Checkmate also places a premium on user anonymity, so your search for a specific person won’t be intercepted.
- Accurate results
- Advanced search filters
- Access to a large number of public records
- High subscription fee
- Single reports aren’t available
- Slow searching process
While Instant Checkmate may not be the most inexpensive background check site, it provides excellent value for the money if you want to use it for an extended period of time. Only premium membership plans, where all Instant Checkmate features are unlocked, are available.
Spokeo: Best for Long-term Use
Spokeo is the ideal choice if you need more details than just who is behind such an email address. Spokeo’s search features include a comprehensive email lookup section in addition to services for finding people via the phone number, street address, and name.
A person’s real name may not be immediately obvious from an email address, but a lot of other details can be uncovered.
Spokeo compiles information from several sources, including social networking databases and public records such as deeds, city directories, business filings, consumer surveys, and court documents.
This reverse email lookup service thoroughly searches its extensive database for any data that may be pertinent to the email you enter.
This tool may be used for a wide variety of email lookups, and the UI is very user-friendly. Even though Spokeo is a top-notch reverse email lookup service, it has the lowest rates in the industry.
- Easy to use
- Offers detailed background checks on the sender
- Available in the US only
- Some results may be inaccurate
- Too reliant on social media
Spokeo has earned a reputation as the most cost-effective email search tool available. With a paid membership, you can conduct as many searches as you like, including those for people’s phone numbers, addresses, and names. Membership plans are priced as follows on a monthly basis:
PeopleFinders – Best for Affordability
A simple and fast method to learn more about the owner of an unidentified email address is to conduct a search for that address on PeopleFinders.
Check out fast if an email address relates to someone you know. Alternatively, you could learn that it came from suspicious sources and could be used in phishing or other email fraud.
Contrarily, let’s imagine you only have someone’s email address to get in touch with them. If so, you can use that to track down other means of getting in touch with that person, such as an up-to-date address, mobile number, and profile on social media.
PeopleFinders’ database is chock full of public records and information, such as email addresses, social media handles, and more. In addition to a person’s name, address, and contact number, an email address can be used to try to learn more about them.
The number of regular email users in the United States is far over 250 million. And most (but not all) of them will have an associated email address. There’s no way to verify a person’s identity while creating an email address, therefore, fictitious names and addresses can be used.
Analyzing data and tracing an email address back to its rightful owner requires the kind of data aggregation expertise we offer at PeopleFinders. That’s why the PeopleFinders reverse email lookup feature is so useful for counteracting scams.
- Multiple search options
- Large database
- Easy to use
- Limited information for some email addresses
- Subscription required
- Not all information is up-to-date
The reverse email lookup service provided by PeopleFinders is available at a variety of price points. There are both one-time search options and subscription packages available. The company’s price structure is as follows:
- One-time lookup: This option allows you to perform a single search for an email address for $4.95
- Monthly subscription: This plan allows you to perform an unlimited number of searches for a monthly fee of $24.78
Ranking Methodology for the Best Reverse Email Lookup
Here are some of the criteria we used to determine the order of the top reverse email lookup services:
- Database size: A larger database is more likely to have information about a specific email address.
- Information accuracy: The tool should provide accurate and up-to-date information about the email address owner.
- Search options: The tool should provide multiple search options (e.g. search by name, phone number, or address) to increase the chances of finding information.
- User-friendliness: The tool should be easy to use and navigate.
- Additional features: Some tools may offer additional features such as background checks or dark web monitoring, that can be useful.
- Price: The tool should be reasonably priced and offer a range of subscription options.
- Customer Support: You should be able to contact and get help from the tool’s customer care team if you run into problems.
You may construct a thorough ranking of the finest reverse email lookup services and select the one that matches your demands by thinking about the aforementioned elements. You can also try to do a reverse email search free.
Free Reverse Email Lookup Methods
There are several free reverse email lookup methods to perform a reverse email search free:
Social media search: You can reverse email search free by searching on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. You may be able to learn more about the person who owns the email address if you can track down their social media profiles.
Google search: conducting a Google search is the best way to do a reverse email search free. See if any results come up when you search Google using the email address. This can be anything from a blog to a social networking page to a thread in an online forum. This is the most popular free reverse email lookup method to reverse email search free.
Email header analysis: The sender’s IP address and email server can be determined from the email header if you have access to it. Oftentimes, the sender’s identity can be determined based on this data, which allows you to reverse email search free. However, this free reverse email lookup method to reverse email search free is mostly accessible to tech savvy people.
Free Reverse email lookup services: Email-checker.com, hunter.io, and mail-tester.com are just a few examples of sites that provide free reverse email lookup services to perform reverse email search free. These services will tell you things like the domain associated with an email address and whether or not it’s a real one even the reverse email search free can do that.
Searching on forums or message boards: This is the most common reverse email search free method. On online discussion boards, some users have been known to reveal their email addresses so you can perform a reverse email search free. It’s possible that if you search for the given email address on one of these sites, you’ll come across the owner of the account in question and thus, do a reverse email search free.
It’s important to keep in mind that the owner of the email account might not have made public some information, thus, some of these free reverse email lookup ways to conduct a reverse email search free might not reveal information on the owner of the email address. This is the major disadvantage of doing a reverse email search free.
What is a Reverse Email Lookup?
If you receive an email from an unfamiliar or potentially malicious address, a reverse email search service, whether a reverse email search free or paid, is a helpful online resource for learning more about the sender and the nature of the communication.
The information received may be as following:
- All social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Senders’ real full name
- Full current address
- Senders’ photos
- Their phone numbers, both mobile and landline
- Aliases, if they have any
Why Use Email Lookup Tools?
Email search technologies have become indispensable, both in the workplace and for personal use. There are three main reasons why they resort to these methods:
- Marketing: It’s crucial for marketing and sales teams to verify that the email addresses they have obtained are active. It’s important to verify that you’re communicating with actual people as soon as possible in order for your email marketing newsletter to reach its intended recipients.
- Background searches: Often carried out by folks who need to learn more about a person. Some people also ask for them, and the reasons they provide range from wanting to know everything there’s to know about a potential new partner to investigating an unexpected contact to, sad to say, cyberstalking.
- Risk analysis: In the context of fraud protection, risk assessment, and cybersecurity, reverse email search can be useful for enterprises of all sizes.
Although the aforementioned groups of people are most likely to make use of these resources, anyone from those industries or even the general public may find them valuable at some point.
Of course, not every answer is the same.
Let’s look at some things to think about before you commit to trying a paid service or a reverse email search free.
What Are the Limits of Reverse Email Lookups?
The first restriction is inherent to the freemium business model of several of these email search apps. Several of these businesses base their business model on the fact that your search is free but the results cost money. So, therefore, they’re not really free reverse email lookup methods.
One other annoyance is being led to believe you’ve discovered a free reverse email lookup service for a reverse email search free, yet you’re directed to one that costs money.
For marketers in particular, it’s important to remember that it’s not always easy or possible to validate webmail addresses. For instance, hunter.io makes it quite obvious that it’s intended solely for business use.
After that, there are timing problems to consider. An online retailer, for example, has no choice but to integrate an API for email analysis if it wants to check the validity of customer emails in real time. It takes risk analysis tools essentially no time at all to get results.
While using competing services, users must manually enter addresses and then wait for up to five minutes before seeing any results as opposed to a reverse email search free.
Email searches and email finders are not the same things as reverse email search tools. To discover an email address from a given name is the opposite purpose of an email address search engine.
There are a wide variety of products available for use in email searches. Some are free reverse email lookup services for a reverse email search free, while others are offered for a fee.
The last problem is shaky information, especially when using the reverse email search free. One should always prioritize the most recent and accurate information available.
A simple test, however, indicates that many of the tools suggested here, especially the reverse email search free tools, require going through extremely old databases to gather their private information, which defeats the intent.
If you want the best results from some background checkers, try searching for the email address manually or trying a reverse email search free method.
What Data Can I Get From an Email Search?
Among the many benefits of email for user research is the abundance of data that can be gleaned from an email address. This is why conducting an “email background check” is another name for the use of these resources.
Moreover, they’re far more particular than, for instance, looking up data related to a device or IP address.
Email Address Validity
To start, a reverse email search can tell you if the given email address is legitimate. Specifically, an SMTP check is performed to ensure this.
To sum up, the software will make a request to the domain associated with the email address (@gmail.com or @yahoo.co.uk, for example) to see if the address is valid.
Email Domain Type and Quality Verification
There are reputable sites and some that are less so. It’s all due to how challenging it is to sign up for an account. For instance, despite its professional sound, gmail.com doesn’t cost anything, and making an account is a breeze.
For added safety, certain service providers need extra steps during the verification process, such as an SMS verification.
The email’s age can then be verified as well. It might be more suspect if it was just made. It’s possible that a more established address is also more secure, albeit this assumes that it hasn’t been compromised by a data leak (see below).
Mywebsite.com and other custom domains’ availability can be quickly and easily verified. When this is the case, you may also find out when the domain name was first registered.
This is standard practice for both private and professional websites and email, but scammers can use either.
Email Address and Social Media Lookup
Looking up whether or not an email address has been used for social network signups is a powerful approach to verify its authenticity in the modern era.
This method, which is also referred to as social media profiling, involves seeing if the given email address is associated with any active accounts on sites like LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook.
This is because it would take an enormous amount of time to manually collect the name, location, workplace, and bio of a large number of people, whereas a social network lookup tool can do this in a matter of seconds.
Email Address Found on Data Breaches?
The address can be checked against data breach lists with the use of a reputable tool. If an email address turns up in one of these breaches, it can tell us how old it is and how often it’s been utilized, but it might also suggest that a fraudster has gained access to it.
Email Blacklists Check
Looking up the address on public spam watchlists is another approach to see if it has been used by criminals before.
It’s possible that the account holder no longer has access to the inbox, therefore, you should block anyone who registers with a known spammer address or manually verify their other details, or worse, it could be a malicious address.
Email Address Quality Evaluation
Finally, a piece of information that can be difficult to quantify is the likelihood that the email address was generated by a human as opposed to a bot, or a fraudster, both of which need action quickly. The caliber of the address in question is the email address.
A reliable email profiling software should use string analysis to determine whether or not an email address appears to have been manually entered or produced automatically.
Using a lot of zeroes or other uncommon characters, for instance, can raise eyebrows. In the same way, if the identity in the handle and the account are different.
Best Practices To Avoid Phishing Email Scams
The sender of an email might not necessarily be a friend of yours. Sometimes phishing efforts will get through your spam filter, no matter how effective it is.
A subset of such people are cyber criminals out to steal sensitive information like bank account details or Social Security numbers. Other people want to plant viruses on your site and hold your data for ransom.
Unfortunately, there are people in the world who are just as likely to cause damage online as they’re in real life.
The good news is that phishers share many similar traits, making them easy to spot and avoid if you remember a few simple rules.
- Never open an attachment or click on a link in an email from someone you don’t know and trust. (This is why it’s so important to use a reverse email finder to learn more about the sender.) Infectious malware can be found at some of these links.
- Some may seem to lead to a legitimate business’s website, but keep in mind that the URL displayed on your screen may not be the actual one you’ll be directed to. It’s possible to see the actual destination by hovering over the link, but only if you keep your finger steady.
- You should be wary of any emails that claim a huge amount of money has been charged to your credit card or that your card details need to be updated. Most of the time, they’re just phishing attempts designed to trick you into giving out sensitive information to malicious parties. The sender’s address in one of these phishing emails will typically be a name or a random string of characters, making it immediately obvious that the message is fraudulent. If you suspect there’s a problem with your Visa account, close your email client, launch your browser, navigate to the legitimate website for your Visa provider, and sign in as you would to view your statement.
- In no circumstances should your password be shared with anybody. Not a single respectable group would ever request such a thing.
- Don’t reuse passwords across several accounts, especially ones that include critical information.
- Do routine upkeep on your phone or other electronic equipment. Even though it’s a pain, keeping up with all the security patches is essential to ward off the latest threats.
- Avoid using insecure websites for financial transactions. All secure websites have a padlock emblem in their address bars and use the format //https:. If the URL begins with “//http:,” then the site is not encrypted.
- Make sure you’re using anti-phishing features in your security software. It’s available from the majority of security suites and checks downloaded files (including any attached ones) for malicious software.
Best Reverse Email Lookup Tools – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Where Does Reverse Email Lookup Information Come From?
The majority of email search engines improve their results by using public databases (OSINT).
Are Email Lookup Tools Legal?
Will the Person Know I’m Searching for Them?
The preceding validations do not affect the user in any way. It’s important to remember that, based on the user’s privacy settings, viewing their profiles directly may alert them if they use a service like LinkedIn.
What Does an Email’s Domain Type Actually Tell Me?
It’s important to remember that the domain can tell us even more about the data we have. Since disposable domains are used for temporary email accounts, they’re especially vulnerable.
Nonetheless, additional scrutiny of custom domains may be warranted because fraudsters can potentially use this tactic to get whitelisted.
Best Reverse Email Lookup Tools – Bottom Line
You can choose from a number of high-quality reverse email lookup programs on the market today. BeenVerified, PeopleLooker, TruthFinder, PeopleFinders, Spokeo, and Intelius are just some of the best options available.
These resources provide a wide variety of benefits to their users, including thorough search queries, detailed information user-friendly interfaces, a variety of search choices, dark web tracking, background searches, and more.
Some of the most useful resources cost money, but others, like searching social media sites on the internet, analyzing email headers, and using reverse email lookup services, are completely free.
It’s possible that the free reverse email lookup options won’t be entirely reliable or won’t provide very much about the person behind the email address.
The greatest reverse email lookup service for you will ultimately be determined by your individual requirements and budget. Before committing to one tool over another, it’s a good idea to read up on user feedback and compare their features.
DISCLAIMER: You may not use the non-FCRA approved services mentioned in this article or the information they provide to make decisions about consumer credit, employment, insurance, tenant screening, or any other purpose that would require FCRA compliance. These services don’t provide consumer reports and are not consumer reporting agencies. (These terms have special meanings under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 USC 1681 et seq., (“FCRA”), which are incorporated herein by reference.)