Our content is reader-supported. We may earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of our links.
Is it your goal to locate a long-lost relative or get in touch with a long-ago acquaintance or coworker? It might seem impossible to find a person by name, but with the right resources and approach, it’s actually quite simple.
In this article, we’ll go over all the various ways that a person can be located online using just a name, including the use of search engines, social media, background check services, and more niche resources. This resource will help you confidently search for a lost friend or loved one, or even just locate a long-lost acquaintance.
Let’s get started on our quest to locate a specific individual by name alone.
Best Methods to Find a Person By Name
- Consult a people-finding service such as TruthFinder, Intelius, or Instant Checkmate
- You can look up someone using a search engine like Google
- Find someone using their name on social media
- Use LinkedIn
- Use a Phone Directory
- Search Public Records
How to Find a Person by Name with People Search Sites
Sites that help you find a person by name are called “people search” websites, and they’re extremely useful. There are websites dedicated to helping people find one another by compiling and organizing public records and private data. Among the most frequented people-finding sites are:
These websites gather and organize public documents and personal information to help you find a person by name. This information may include things like a person’s address, phone number, email address, and social media accounts. If you want to get in touch with someone or find out more about them, all you have to do is enter their name into a person’s search engine and you’ll have instant access to all of this data.
Here are some particular methods people search services might help you find a person by name:
- Provide contact information: You can get a person’s phone number, email address, and physical address via a people search, all of which you may use to get in touch with them.
- Give location information: Location details, such as a person’s city and state of residence, are often made available on people-search websites. If you need to track down someone but have no idea where they now reside, this may come in handy.
- Offer background information: Websites dedicated to people-finding may be a good resource for snagging details like past arrests and previous jobs. If you need to confirm someone’s identification or research their history, this might be a useful tool.
- Provide links to social media profiles: It’s not uncommon for social media accounts to be linked from people-search websites. Learn more about a person, their friends, and how to get in touch with them, this may be quite helpful.
- Advanced search options: There are a plethora of people search services that allow you to refine your search by a variety of criteria, including area and age range. Using these filters, you may refine your search and improve your chances of locating the appropriate individual.
Remember that the data provided by people searching sites may not be current or correct. One must exercise caution and sensitivity when searching for private information online.
How Does TruthFinder Help You Find a Person By Name
Here are some of the private details that may be unearthed on TruthFinder when a complete name is entered. Read more about what TruthFinder can do here.
- Date of Birth
- Work Experience
- Background Knowledge about Education
- Possible Relatives
- Contact Information: Phone and/or Email
- Alternative Methods of Contact
- Location Currently Previous Locations
- Online Reputation Management
- Case Histories
- Stats on Traffic
- Company Snapshots
The information associated with a given name may include many more details than those shown above. The results may vary greatly depending on the name you provide and the public data for that individual. To find out what’s really out there (on you or someone else), you need to go looking for it. Fortunately, there is a straightforward way to get details with simply a name.
How Can I Find a Person by Name?
TruthFinder’s People Search is the quickest and easiest method to locate specific facts about a certain person. As you can see from the information provided, a name may tell you quite a bit about a person. TruthFinder’s People Search uses publicly accessible data to generate comprehensive profiles of individuals.
How to Lookup Someone on TruthFinder
- Get a Person Report at any time by signing up for a TruthFinder and upgrading to an unlimited account. You can skip this step if you already have a membership to TruthFinder.
- To find someone, type in their full name and, if you know it, the city and state. If you want to know what other people can find out about you simply by knowing your name, you can use TruthFinder to do a self-search.
- Choose your query and click “Search.” As soon as you type in a search query, TruthFind will start looking through public records for relevant results.
- Examine the provided list of Report results and click on the report that most closely resembles the target individual. It’s possible that you’ll need to narrow your search if the name you’re using is particularly common.
- After opening a Person Report, you can explore its sub-sections to learn more about the subject of your search. You might want to look at the Social Media or Contact Details sections if you were trying to get in touch with a long-lost friend or relative. Checking someone’s driving and criminal histories may be more relevant if you’re looking up a new neighbor or potential romantic partner than their public records.
Using a Search Engine to Find a Person by Name
Google is the best place to begin a free person search. An individual’s background, interests, and more might be uncovered with only a quick search. Put the person’s name in quotation marks and include other pertinent information, such as the person’s birthplace, to refine your searches. A common name might make it difficult to locate a specific individual. And you may not be able to find them even after exhausting every online resource.
It is possible to discover almost anybody by using a search engine like Google, Bing, or Yahoo. The best way to locate someone is to follow these guidelines:
- Use quotation marks: Placing a name in quotation marks (e.g. “John Smith”) tells the search engine to seek just that specific phrase, which might help restrict the results.
- Add additional information: You may refine your search by adding more specific criteria, such as a city or a profession. For instance, if you type in “John Smith” and “New York” and “Lawyer,” you’ll get results that fit those requirements.
- Check for variations: It is a good idea to search for variants of the name you are searching for since many people go by more than one name. Try searching for John R. Smith or J.R. Smith as well as John Smith if you’re looking for John Smith.
- Try different search engines: Searching on various engines is recommended in order to get a more complete set of results, since each may yield somewhat different outcomes.
- Check the results page: A list of relevant websites will appear on the search engine results page. A person’s professional or personal profile, as well as their social media pages, might all provide the information you need to locate them online.
- Use the Image Search option: If you know someone’s name and have a photo of them, you may use a search engine that allows you to upload or paste a link to an image to locate more examples of that person online.
Note that search engines will also return results from social media, people search sites, news articles, and other sources. You will be able to utilize search engines to find a person by name more efficiently if you use these strategies and become creative with your search phrases. Always use care and sensitivity while researching individuals or organizations online, and avoid doing it without permission.
Use Social Media to Find a Person by Name
Finding someone by their name on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn may be quite useful. Users of these services may make public profiles that disclose identifying information such as name, email address, and location, streamlining their search for and communication with other users. Here are some suggestions on how to do a name-based search on social media:
- Search for their name: Using a person’s name as a search term is the quickest and most reliable method for tracking them down on social media. To find someone on a social networking site, just type their name into the search box at the top of the page.
- Check for variations: You should try searching for other spellings of the name you are looking for, just like you would in a search engine.
- Use the Advanced Search options: Facebook and LinkedIn are two examples of social media with extensive search features that let users look for people based on their location, profession, and other factors. Using these filters, you may refine your search and improve your chances of locating the appropriate individual.
- Check Mutual Friends or Connections: In order to track down a friend or acquaintance, Facebook allows you to go through your shared network of contacts. If you don’t know someone’s name or can’t discover them using a standard search, this may be an excellent option.
- Use Social Media groups: The odds of discovering the person you’re searching for on social media are enhanced by the platform’s group feature, which allows you to connect with others who have the same interests or who live or attend school in the same area as you.
- Be aware of Privacy Settings: Take into account that certain users may have their profiles hidden from search results due to privacy settings. It’s also conceivable that the person you’re searching for doesn’t use social media or doesn’t have a public profile on any of them.
Use LinkedIn to Find a Person By Name
LinkedIn is a significant resource for doing a name search on the internet due to its focus on professional networking. Advice on how to do a successful LinkedIn person search:
- Use the search bar: Using the site’s built-in search box is the quickest and easiest approach to identifying a desired user on LinkedIn. LinkedIn will provide results after you enter the person’s name.
- Check for variations: It’s a good idea to search for variants of the name you’re searching for, as is the case on other platforms where individuals may use alternative aliases or spellings of their name.
- Use the Advanced Search options: Searches on LinkedIn may be refined in a number of ways, including by geographic area, sector, user’s current or previous employer, and more. Using these filters, you may refine your search and improve your chances of locating the appropriate individual.
- Check Mutual Connections: LinkedIn’s mutual connections feature is useful for tracking down long-lost acquaintances. If you don’t know someone’s name or can’t discover them using a standard search, this may be an excellent option.
- Join groups: LinkedIn is home to many different groups that cater to certain professions, regions, and hobbies. You may boost your chances of discovering the person you’re searching for by becoming a member of organizations they frequent.
- Check for Public Profile: You should know that not everyone on LinkedIn has a public profile. There are some persons whose profiles are hidden from searches and connections lists because they have set their privacy settings that way.
Use a Phone Directory to Find a Person by Name
One of the oldest and most reliable ways to find someone’s contact information with just their name is to use a phone book. It requires little in the way of preparation or skill, so it can be useful in a wide variety of contexts.
The method is straightforward: Find the section of the phone book that corresponds to the location you’re in, then flip through the pages until you find the name you’re looking for, and finally, make a note of the entry’s address and phone number. It’s a tried-and-true method that can be used to locate a person even if they’ve recently changed their contact information or moved, thanks to the trusty old phone book.
The time investment required to locate a number in a phone book is a significant drawback. It takes time to manually search through each page. This time can increase if the person you’re looking for has a common name.
If a person’s contact information has changed since the last phone book was printed, or if they primarily use a cell phone rather than a landline, it can be extremely difficult to locate them using a phone book. Finally, it may be difficult or impossible to locate a physical copy of the book. The use of phone books is declining as more people turn to the internet for information.
Search Public Records to Find a Person by Name
Public records are another source for locating an individual. In addition to the methods mentioned above, public documents such as arrest records, birth certificates, family trees, government websites, and many more may be used to track down an individual on the web.
Keep in mind that personally seeking public documents is a time-consuming and difficult process. As an alternative, you may use a person’s search engine like TruthFinder. It has instant access to billions of public records and can provide the data you need in seconds.
Bottom Line on How to Find a Person by Name
Finding someone by their name may seem like an impossible effort at first. But with the correct resources and know-how, it’s really rather simple. Search engines, social media, and people-searching websites are just some of the options we’ve investigated for tracking down an individual. We have also included suggestions on how to make the most of each technique.
Keep in mind that some sources may not give the most recent information. Be careful while looking for private data online, and don’t invade anyone’s privacy. In addition, not everyone uses social media or has a public profile. Some individuals may choose privacy settings that prevent their profiles from appearing in search results.
You will need to be resourceful with your search queries. Open to trying new approaches and platforms, and patient as you look for a specific individual by name. If you follow the advice in this piece, you should have no trouble discovering the person you’re searching for online.